Sunday, June 26, 2011

KD Rouse: Thoughts on the Library

Despite my reservations about the potential to ruin a personal haven by working there, (See One Legged Larry & Leery of the Library. KD Rouse. Exploration of Internet Publishing and Promotion Blog. June 17th., 4:42 pm post) I have just successfully completed my first year of Library School at University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

While I have not actually worked in a library, the library has not lost its luster under scrutiny. My admiration and devotion for the library grows as I learn of its heart, brains and guts. It is a place of dreams, and unapologetic triumph, endless destinations, and social reform, manned by a diverse array of unassuming, but fierce defenders of free speech, social equality, and intellectual freedom.

To me, the library is the most successful institution in its marriage to the ideals ensured to us by the U.S. constitution. It is fluid, responding, rising, changing as information builds and morphs to new systems of delivery, driven by technology.

The American Library Association, (ALA) the primary professional association for librarians, embraces a clear mission steeped with workable idealism, proving its dedication and success in implementing social reform and invoking and enforcing our constitutional rights by its history. The ALA provides cohesiveness to the group charged with guarding open and easy access information for all,  in an environment of dizzying change.

The ALA has a proud history and matter-of-fact presence, while it keeps a vigilant eye on the future.

When I walk into a library, I leave the frenzied world behind. I am welcome, no matter who I am or what I look like. It is warm when I am cold, cool when I am hot.
I smell equality, freedom, and the scent of books, and I can wander whereever I will and pick books like posies in any bouquet that strikes my fancy.
My library card is used and worn, but the thrill of being allowed to take books home with me never fades.
I leave with anticipation, happy with the heaviness of my bag.
I devour them behind closed doors, selfish and demanding, using them, then returning them without remorse when I am done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment