Sunday, June 26, 2011

KD Rouse: Tortoise and Future Librarian

I am halfway through the coursework required to obtain a Master's degree in Library and Information Studies at University of North Carolina at Greensboro. In my current project, I am studying internet publishing and promotion opportunities, and hope to gain a more solid understanding of the impact of electronic publishing to the library, the traditional publishing industry, to authors and readers.

Besides my curiosity as a future librarian, I am fueled in my search by my desire to be a published author.
I have written for 30 years,  in and around the sidelines of my primary life of being a mother, and my secondary lives, as college-student, performing singer-songwriter, and waitress extraordinaire. My collection of work is testimony to the tortoise, plodding but steadfast.

Even when definitions of 'here to there' are elusive and ever-changing, destinations will be reached if you continue on and on, step by step. You may be entirely surprised at where your baby steps have led you as you continually redefine where you are and where you want to be, but if you plod onward, moving around obstacles, like the tortoise, you will get many somewheres.

The tortoise's pace makes him laughable to spectators, but he has time to scope the road ahead, avoiding useless or dangerous tangents. His shell protects him from predators and naysayers, and on and on the tortoise goes.

My vast collection of mostly secret writing also provides an illustration of how to cope and create whilst beset by the bi-polar ups and downs and roundy-rounds. Stay busy, busy, busy, through the ups and downs, and for the roundy-rounds, nudge your circles to elipses, and touch down on all the same destinations over and over again.

Elipses lead to spirals, moving, not stagnant, and roundy-rounds can be momentum instead of a blockade if you visit and revisit your favorite spots over and over again.
While medication to help manage the bi-polar is usually crucial to being alive, I also believe that being bi-polar is a case of different wiring, and if you take that wiring in mind, it is possible to be productive.

In myself, I have noticed the way I order tasks is unusual. In cleaning my house, I might wander from room to room starting dozens of jobs towards that end.
If I only circled once, my tasks would be unfinished and my house would still be dirty.
If I circle my house, round and round, touching down on the same destinations, or tasks, and furthering each one as I wander, eventually my house is clean, maybe in the same time as it takes for a more straightforward, ordered  approach.

A writer may have many stories started that will be finished by touching down and revisiting, writing, and revising, over and over again.

Visit your chosen tasks, your friends, your goals, in your spiraling wanderings, touching down on the same destinations, with the deliberation of the tortoise, and you will cross many finish lines.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment