Saturday, June 18, 2011

KD Rouse/Internet Publishing Exploration Preparation...continued

To review: I am a graduate student of Library and Information Science at University of North Carolina entering my second year. I am preparing to lauch an exploration of internet publishing and promotion opportunities using my collection of original works as potential items to publish. My professor mentor is Dr. Julia Hersberger, LIS UNC-G.

I want to find out what opportunities there are for publishing and promotion on the internet. I want to know if different genres of writing should be placed in subject-specific sites or is using one main site to publish is better. I want to know about e-books and how to promote should I choose to publish through one of these sites.

I am also curious about the current publishing industry. Is it crumbling? I would like to interview a book agent and hear his or her opinion on the future of the book agent and publishing empires. Because I feel that I am a publish-able author, I would like her to explain what she can do that I can't do for myself through the tools available to anyone on the net. Are book agents and publisher middle-men that can be bypassed by an author?

My experience with internet publishing thus far: I have self published two books through Cafe Press and Lulu. I was able to hold my own book in my hand for about $7.00. I never promoted and never sold any except to myself. The first book, in 2005, contains the first nine stories of 'The Saga of Gypsy Nurse.' It merely says 'Printed by Cafe Press,' which indicates to me that I can do with it what I want.

The other book, which I self-published in 2009,  'Hip and Broke: A Songwriter's Journey' is a bit more complicated. It is published by Lulu, who provided me an ISBN# and a bar code for free. That implies rights to Lulu which I need to understand better. Am I free to publish that same work with any other site. If not, how can I promote my existing book that has thus far been isolated in cyber-space?

My previous posts have helped me prepare for an exploration of my options in internet publishing and promotion because:
1) Reviewing the steps preceding my upcoming 'first step' in the exploration of internet publishing has allowed my Inner Librarian to organise, catagorize, and make sense of my journey thus far.
2) For a successful journey,  the traveler is purposeful, knowing where they go and why, taking only what they need with them.

This is important to me, as my biggest wish is to be a successful author who occassionally plays shows in mid-size venues and huge outdoor festivals and I think I can do it.

I have been the tortoise watching the hares run by and by and by.

But...."The time has come, the Walrus said...."
                        Lewis Carroll

This Future Librarian's Not To Miss List

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, Lewis Carroll. 1872.

The Tortoise and the Hare, one of Aesop's Fables.

No comments:

Post a Comment