Saturday, June 18, 2011

Inspiration from Martha Graham & Max Ehrmann

I come from a long line of published authors.
I thought my Fairy Godmother had forgotten to give me gifts to be one of them, but I wrote in secret the things I could never say.
It used to be I would scold myself if I thought something three times and didn't write it down. I trained myself to write when I first thought of them, because a) you think you will remember but you don't
b) Thinking the same thing over and over requires head space. It drives me mad when my thoughts go round and round like clothes in a dryer. Writing makes it stop, and c) requires a quote from Martha Graham, one that when I read when I worked at Mindy's Music Store, opting to clean the grand piano and dust the bannisters instead of teach songwriting. I wrote songs, but they just come to me. I didn't know what or how to begin to teach it, plus it felt wrong to pressure my musical passion with dissemination. I lost my religion that way.
To get back to the quote that allowed me to create unabashedly, where as before I thought: Who would even care? Wasn't there a frivolity and presumption about writing or performing on stage as if anything I could do or say would make one whit of difference? But Martha set me free.

"There is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost."
— Martha Graham
For more inspirational and quotable quotes by Martha Graham, here is one site to get you started:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/martha_graham.html

I was 12 when I stumbled upon Desiderata, the prose poem written by American writer Max Ehrmann (1872-1945) in 1927. Here is an excerpt:

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
                                                         Max Ehrmann
You can find Desiderata in its entirety at this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata
It will calm your soul, and no matter how many times you read it, it still speaks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment