Sunday, July 3, 2011

KD Rouse: UNC-G/late 80's

I was a stay at home mom for nine years and went back to school to finish my degree at UNC-G when it became clear that my children and I needed to seek higher ground.
I also started waiting tables at Mama Leonis, a job I kept for five years.

Waitressing, while seemingly beneath a person with my education, gave me experience in talking to many people, up close, over and over, until I was a walking, talking, efficient, philosophical, fun-loving, guru waitress. ("Musings of a Guru Waitress" by KD Rouse-unpublished)

Finishing my degree at UNC-G in the late 80's opened my world. It made me feel smart and built up my battered self-esteem. I felt nurtured and respected, and learned to speak to my classmates without a horrible lurch in my stomach. I didn't feel so much a black sheep by finishing my degree, my three sisters all having master's and beyond, successful jobs, nice homes, husbands, etc.

My experiences at UNC-G gave me confidence that I never had before, leading to the most powerful illustration I've ever seen as to the power of confidence: After a year of so of working at Mama Leonies, I went from being unnoticed to being hit upon by my customers and everyone wanted to be my friend. To me, I looked the same. Upon reflection of this surprising turn of events, I decided the only change was confidence.

I loved studying education, all the way through student teaching.

When I tried the real thing by myself, it was the hardest, most stressful job I've ever tried, and 30 years later I still shudder when I think about it.
Maintaining order and discipline in the classroom, and talking to the parents got me.

My first day teaching, I arrived early to be greeted by the two custodian ladies. They looked me over, leaning on their mops, and said, "Oh Chile, they are goin ta eat you up." "Lord, they surely is." I beamed at them wide-eyed while they looked at me sympathetically, shaking their heads. Oh, Lord. They were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment